It’s really hard to watch what you are eating when you are frantically trying to move all of your earthly possessions just hours before a blizzard is set to arrive. It’s even harder to then get snowed in (literally) for two days with nothing to do but unpack, listen to the radio, and eat.

On Friday morning, before I started moving, I stopped at the grocery store for a few items to get me through the weekend. My refrigerator hadn’t been moved back into my house, so the few perishable items I got – some turkey breast, lettuce, carrots, Miracle Whip, milk, and apples – sat in a box out on my porch all weekend. Surprisingly, nothing froze. I also bought some sandwich thins, peanut butter, marshmallow fluff, a box of reduced fat Wheat Thins and some cereal.

Overall, though, Friday wasn’t too bad, food-wise. I can’t even begin to imagine how many calories I burned as I moved everything myself out of my parent’s house, into a van, out of a van, and into my house. Three trips back and forth, 6 hours straight of work. By 2 p.m. I was so tired that I tripped coming up the stairs with a microwave in my arms. Muscle fatigue had set in, big time.

On Saturday, I got up, ate, unpacked some things, ate, shoveled some snow, ate, unpacked some more, and ate. It was bad. I was thankful that I didn’t have more food in the house. I guess I was bored, even though I had plenty to do. I had no TV or Internet access to distract me. I couldn’t get to Weight Watchers to weigh in because my street hadn’t been plowed.

Yesterday wasn’t AS bad. I did manage to get some exercise both days – about an hour of snow shoveling each day. Last night, my sweet neighbor brought me a container full of hot chili and some tortilla chips. I was grateful for the hot meal. I ate every morsel.

I got up today with a spring in my step – it’s my 28th birthday. I told myself that I wasn’t going to use today as an excuse for eating poorly. I was going to get back to writing down everything I ate.

Then came lunch time. I went to McDonald’s and got my grilled chicken caesar salad with the low-fat balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I pulled out of the drive-thru and into the parking lot of CVS. I wanted some candy.

I bought two of those Reese’s hearts. And two little bags of Cadbury Mini Eggs. I should have known better. Those things are my kryptonite. Thank God they don’t sell them year-round.

I ate one of each before I even got back to the office. I ate my salad, then ate the rest of the candy. It was 18 points worth of nothing but sugar and fat.

I feel gross now. I feel sleepy. I’m disgusted that I let myself eat that crap. It’s my first slip-up in over a month, and it doesn’t feel good at all.

On a positive note, however, I did write down exactly what I ate. Before, I would have just said “screw it” and forgotten about it. Not anymore. I may have made a poor decision, but I’m taking responsibility for it. I saved the wrappers and calculated the points.

My little candy binge means that I will definitely be going over my points today. I’m not going to NOT enjoy my birthday dinner tonight because of it, but I won’t be overindulging. I’ll forgive myself and move on. Tomorrow will be a better day.

I hope everyone had a nice weekend! Did #SnowtoriousBIG affect you at all?


One Response to “Relapse.”

  1. Jenn Says:

    Happy Birthday Erin!! What do you have planned for the rest of the day?

    Nobody is perfect every single day. You’re going to have days where you buy certain items that seem like they’re a good idea at the time and then reality sets in and you’re like … WHY did I do that???

    I ate really well all weekend and then I decided to split a half of piece of cheesecake at dinner. I felt so gross afterwards, I wanted to just lay down and do nothing.

    Maybe you could set out a piece of each to have for the day with a snack? I have been obsessing over buying the dark chocolate valentine dove candies since Vday candy made an appearance … all of Jan, I’d browse the circulars and see where they were on sale. I’d walk by them if I was at the grocery store or the drugstore. I finally bought a bag on Friday and put out 3 at a time. So far, I’ve only dipped my hand in once/day.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: